Sunday, March 14, 2010

A series of eyebrow raising events: Part 3

Part 3 is here!! But sadly, this is the last of the series. And in this post, I bring you the last eyebrow raising event. By the way, if you're confused, this is a series, though you don't exactly have to read them in order. Parts 1 and 2 can be found here and here respectively.

So, as I was scanning through this particular shop's advertisements, I came across another (the 3rd) word whose usage seemed fishy. To me at least.


RELISH this discount too!

The word relish caught my attention. From my understanding, relish has something to do with savoring or appreciating something, which could be the flavor of food, or a particular moment. But are we able to say 'relish a discount'? I'm not too sure.

Checking to see if my intuition was correct, I consulted Google as usual, and a few dictionaries. Google had no results showing relish being used with a discount, though it had 'relish an advantage'. Dictionaries also showed senses and usages which did not really match with the usage here.

For example, a particular sense of the word which seems to be rather close to the meaning that the advertisement wishes to convey as from the OED (I didn't take all the quotations)

relish, v.
4. a. trans. To take pleasure or delight in; to enjoy greatly. Also refl.
1921 J. GALSWORTHY To Let II. xi. 219, I wish I could make you a pink cream, Mr. Soames, like in the old days; you did so relish them.
1932 Theosophical Q. July 7 Satire that so relishes itself as to have lost all thought or memory of moral purpose. 1986 R. ANGELL Once more around Park (1991) 242 He pointed at Gary.., relishing the moment before he threw him out. 2004 Toronto Star (Nexis) 7 May D16, I suspect my friends notice I am relishing the meal a bit too much{em}non-free-range chicken has never tasted so good.


It certainly doesn't look like the word relish can be used with discount. Though relish has the meaning of taking pleasure in something, enjoying seems more appropriate in this situation. Perhaps the store felt that using enjoy with discount was too 'common' a word? Still, enjoy would definitely be a better word choice.


I have come to the end of the series! The adventure ends here.. for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment